An Iranian asylum seeker was found dead in his room in Hume compound of the Villawood detention around 1.00pm, Saturday 26 March.
It is understood that the man took his own life.
The man, aged in his late 30s, had been detained in Villawood for two years.
The AFP are on the scene inside the detention centre.
The cause of his death is not known at this stage. But the Refugee Action Coalition has been told that the man had not left his room for the last two weeks, and was found dead by Serco guards after lunch-time today, Saturday, 26 March.
The death also comes after a series of incidents in which detainees have been bashed by other detainees inside the centre.
The Refugee Action Coalition has been told that the dead asylum seeker had been assaulted a couple of weeks ago and was the victim of another assault last night (Friday 25 March).
Home Affairs and medical provider, International Health and Medical Services Pty Ltd (IHMS), are already the subject of court proceedings regarding the suicide death of a detainee in Villawood in 2019.
A date in May has been set for mention in the NSW magistrates’ court again regarding charges against the Commonwealth and medical provider IHMS, under the Commonwealth Work Health and Safety Act 2011, alleging both Home Affairs and IHMS had seriously neglected the mental health of a detainee who took his own life at Sydney’s Villawood immigration detention centre in 2019.
It is also alleged that Home Affairs and IHMS failed to provide necessary training, information, and supervision to mental health staff in relation to their care for that detainee.
“It’s time Villawood and the rest of Australia’s detention regime was closed. Border Force and Serco are a law unto themselves inside the detention centres. Too often detention is a life sentence, and at times, like today, it is a death sentence.”
For more information contact Ian Rintoul 0417 275 713