Press releases

No amount of money can compensate for Manus horror

| June 14, 2017 | Reply

The announcement of a possible settlement with Manus asylum seekers and the Australian government for false imprisonment and conditions on Manus Island that caused them physical and psychological harm is an admission that the Australian government is responsible for detention on Manus Island. “It puts the lie to the continual claims from Peter Dutton that […]

Read More

“Where’s Behrouz?” Refugee protest to march to Manus film world premiere

| June 8, 2017 | Reply

Refugee supporters will march from Town Hall to the world premiere screening of “Chauka, Please Tell Us the Time,” on Sunday 11 June at the Sydney Film Festival, to call for the closure of Manus Island detention centre. The film was secretly recorded on a mobile phone in the Manus Island detention centre over many […]

Read More

Forced relocation stalls on Manus Island

| May 29, 2017 | Reply

The first efforts to force the relocation of refugees and asylum seekers in the Manus Island detention centre have stalled. Yesterday (Sunday 28 May), although the government closed the internal gate of Foxtrot compound (photo at right), five Indian asylum seekers remained in N block (photos below). The gate separates N block from the rest […]

Read More

Half-day conference: Offshore detention, resistance and alternatives

| May 19, 2017 | Reply

New Law School Lecture Theatre 024, Sydney Uni Session times 1pm-2.15pm Manus, Nauru and the US deal Speakers: Maria (Refugee who was on Nauru until last year), Tim O’Connor (Refugee Council of Australia), Ian Rintoul (Refugee Action Coalition) A new crisis is developing on Manus Island, with the imminent closure of the detention centre. This […]

Read More

Graphic footage of Manus shooting

| April 15, 2017 | Reply

Graphic footage taken during the Good Friday shooting incident has emerged from Manus Island. Photos of bullet holes damage inside the detention centre including in accommodation areas is evidence of the dangerous situation that has erupted on Manus. “The shooting incident has been a shocking and stark reminder of the dangerous situation that exists on […]

Read More

Shooting breaks out on Manus – Refugees fear for their lives

| April 14, 2017 | Reply

There are reports that shooting has broken out between the PNG police and locals on the navy base after locals began attacking the detention centre. Local navy staff have responded by shooting into detention centre compounds. (Hear audio of the shooting here) Wilson security and all staff have fled the compounds, leaving refugees and asylum […]

Read More

‘We are not animals’ – protest erupts in Manus detention centre

| March 19, 2017 | Reply

Guards hastily withdrew from Mike Compound in the Manus Island detention centre last night (Saturday 18 March) after a protest erupted in the mess area following Border Force renovations that made the serving area more like a prison. “It was a provocation,” one detainee told the Refugee Action Coalition, “They treat us like we are […]

Read More

Mobiles to stay in detention centres – for now

| March 17, 2017 | Reply

This morning, Friday, Justice Rares found that the Federal Court had jurisdiction to consider whether or not the government’s decree to ban mobile phones from detention centres was lawful. This means that the injunction preventing Serco, Border Force or other government officers from seizing mobile phones stays in place. The injunction was first granted at […]

Read More

Refugee advocates reject absurd detention mobile phone claims

| February 28, 2017 | Reply

Refugee advocates have rejected claims by Commissioner Quaedvlieg that the use of mobile phones is linked to criminal behaviour. “The mobile phone ban is part of militarising the detention centres, and is part and parcel of a suite of punitive policies being rolled out by Border Force, “ said Ian Rintoul, spokesperson for the Refugee […]

Read More

Federal Court injunction granted to stop Immigration seizing mobile phones

| February 19, 2017 | Reply

An out-of-hours special Federal Court hearing today (Sunday, 19 Feb) has granted an injunction to prevent Serco and Border Force from seizing mobile phones from detainees in onshore immigration detention, just hours before the order was to come into effect. Detainees in immigration detention faced blanket removal of their mobile phones at midnight tonight. Lawyers […]

Read More